Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Exporting out to YouTube!

A common question I get asked in regards to my YouTube videos is this.. "What settings do you use to compress them when you upload them to YouTube?"

So here is my answer :)




First off, I edit on a mac, with Final Cut Pro. When I am done editing my video, I.....

1. Export it out as an MOV. file.
2. Open it with the computer program "compressor".
3. I then use a custom presetting that I made and apply it to the video. I have this setting saved in my compressor custom setting box so I can always grab and drop it onto the video, then export it out. Here are the settings that I use to export out for youtube, at 1080p.

Export Custom Settings:

Audio Encoder
AAC, Stereo (L R), 44.100 kHz
Video Encoder
Format: QT
Width: 1920
Height: 1080
Pixel aspect ratio: Square
Crop: None
Padding: None
Frame rate: (100% of source)
Selected: 23.976
Frame Controls On:
Retiming: (Fast) Nearest Frame
Resize Filter: Linear Filter
Deinterlace Filter: Better (Motion Adaptive)

Codec Type: H.264
Multi-pass: On, frame reorder: On
Pixel depth: 24
Spatial quality: 75
Min. Spatial quality: 25
Key frame interval: 30
Temporal quality: 50
Min. temporal quality: 25
Average data rate: 5.12 (Mbps)


So there you have it! That's how I export out to YouTube. I even use these settings when I shoot a video at 720p, and what it does is it up scales it to 1080p, so it will look better for those who want to view it at 1080p :)

I've done a bunch of testing and research with these settings and this has worked the best for me, if you have any other tips with exporting out videos, of things that have worked for you, feel free to leave them in the comments below :)

The bottom line is the most important thing to do is shoot the video right in the camera, because exporting it out in a high quality wont save it at all. However if you did shoot it right to begin with, it makes it look all that much better :)

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Fridges are mostly of the home appliances that can run constantly. When this particular machine halts working, you might be facing a higher repair expenses. repair-home.org

      Delete
    2. Exceptional House in order to Home tend to be excellent contractors in La for... complete is great and creates the home owners. Superior House Builders may design to complete the function. superiorhomeservices1.org

      Delete
  2. Awesome information, Your posts are extremely helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Attractive component of content. I simply stumbled upon your site and in accession capital to say that I acquire actually enjoyed account your weblog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your augment and even I success you get admission to consistently fast. Desain Ruang Tamu Minimalis | Gambar Kamar Mandi Kecil | Contoh Desain Dapur 2015 | Gambar Desain Kamar Mandi Minimalis | Gambar Rumah Minimalis 2015

      Delete
  3. Was this used on Compressor or Final Cut? Because I see the options for the Pixel Depth, Spatial quality and what not but can't alter them. :-o

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are the compressor settings. And yes, some of them you might not be able to change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for posting. would be really cool, if you could share the settings for the timewarp effect on after effects. i've tried slowing down some footage that i shot on a go pro at 60fps and most of the videos didn't come out the way i wanted. theres a lot of warping around the subject in all the videos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Hammi, as far as my timewarp settings go, honestly I don't change anything but how slow it goes. The trick is not to move the camera at all when you apply the effect, that's when I get the weird distortion. Hope that helps. But the trick is to use a tripod :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Devin,

    wow I checked your settings with mine and they match almost !! The difference between mine and yours is that my spatial quality is set to 100 instead of 75 like yours. Also, did you have any specific reason why you enabled "Frame Control"? Does it affect the end quality much? Thank you, cheers raphael

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dev, nice post!
    What do you do to the "raw"-files you get from your dslr before importing to FCP? Do you use neoscene or such? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok quick question. Are you editing 720p footage in a 1080p timeline? Or do you edit in 720p and scale up only once reaching Compressor?

    ReplyDelete